Avocado Yogurt Soup
I love using yogurt when I cook, it’s an amazing way to add flavor, texture, and protein to a variety of foods and dishes. I tend to be loyal to both people and brands, especially if I agree with their overall products and beliefs. Siggi’s is a perfect example of one of the brands I’ve been consuming and touting for several years now. Siggi’s, a skyr strained yogurt, contains simple ingredients, not a lot of sugar, no artificial sweeteners, real, whole food ingredients, and a ton of protein (>13 grams of protein per serving!).
Imagine my delight when Siggi’s decided to have a “Cooking with Siggi’s” recipe contest for Registered Dietitians! I was tasked with creating a recipe that showcases Siggi’s and the chance to be part of their upcoming cookbook.
In my quest to make Spring come quicker (why is it still so chilly and rainy in the northeast???), I decided to use Siggi’s plain yogurt to make some cold soup full of flavor, texture, and nutrients. This protein-packed recipe reminds me of the freshest and most delicious guacamole I’ve ever had, with a smooth texture and tons of freshness and bright notes shining through. This soup is perfect as a vegetarian lunch or appetizer. For something more substantial, saute some tofu or shrimp and add it to the finished dish. Voila! Dinner is served…
Let me know what you think! Enjoy!
- 1 English cucumber diced (separate 1/3 cucumber and set aside)
- 2 avocados diced (separate 1/2 avocado and set aside)
- 1 cup Siggi's Plain Yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 scallions white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro minced (separate 1 tablespoon cilantro and set aside)
- Place 2/3 cucumber, 1 1/2 avocado, yogurt, lime juice, scallions, salt, pepper, jalapeno, and 3 tablespoons cilantro in a blender or Vitamix. Puree until smooth. Thin out with water, a tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. (Note: I generally do not add water, but some people may prefer a thinner soup.)
- Transfer to large bowl and mix in reserved cucumber and avocado.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with cilantro. Optional: add sauteed tofu or shrimp.