Taco Tuesday – TACO DIP
I love Taco Tuesday, especially with a Taco Dip! This one is amazing and so simple. Nutritious and delicious indeed!
It’s time for Recipe ReDux! This month our challenge is “Taco Tuesday,” a favorite in my household. I set out to create a healthy, tasty, fun riff on the idea of Taco Tuesday. As such, I decided not to make tacos. What the what?!?!?! I figured there would be an overabundance of tacos, so my interpretation of Taco Tuesday is a Taco Dip! My dip is full of taco spices, Neufchatel cheese (a lower fat version of cream cheese), sour cream, salsa, and tons of veggies. Pair this delicious dip with cut up vegetables and tortilla chips or use it as part of a filling for corn or flour tortillas as a full meal. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser and looks beautiful and colorful. Enjoy!
*note: use whatever vegetables you like in place of the peppers or in addition to – olives, grated carrots, and green peppers are all great options.
- 8 oz sour cream low fat
- 16 oz Neufchatel cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa drained (Note: Or make your own: chop up 2 tomatoes, ½ red onion, ½ jalapeno, ¼ cup cilantro)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 bell peppers I use one red, one orange, and one yellow, diced*
- 3 scallions sliced
- Place sour cream, Neufchatel, and spices in a large bowl and mix well until combined thoroughly. Spread mixture in a pie dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Spread salsa layer over mixture in pie dish. Sprinkle shredded cheddar over salsa layer in pie dish. Spread peppers over cheddar layer in pie dish. Sprinkle scallions on top.
- Serve with cut up vegetables and tortilla chips for an appetizer or alongside corn tortillas, beans, and brown rice for a full meal.
Nutrition Facts (assuming 10 portions):