Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I love hummus, especially one that’s as creamy and flavorful as Sabra. I had a great time working with Sabra, so many amazing flavors! AND it’s National Hummus Day – woo hoo!
I’ve been on a lentil kick lately and wanted something tasty that is also a hearty, nutritious vegan dish. This Lentil Shepherd’s Pie uses Moroccan spices and Sabra’s Roasted Garlic Hummus instead of mashed potatoes. The result is full of flavor and plant-based protein – plus it’s vegan and gluten free. This is a great part of any meal – try it as a side dish for extra protein and veggies or as the main dish.
Enjoy! Let me know how you like it!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups lentils I like French lentils, but use whatever you prefer, rinsed
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 10- ounce container Roasted Garlic Sabra Hummus
- Pre-heat overn to 350 degrees F.
- Place pot over medium heat, add oil, onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, and celery and saute ~5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper, and salt and cook ~1 minute, stirring and blooming spices.
- Add lentils and 4 cups of stock, deglazing pan. Bring to a boil then cover and lower to a simmer. Cook ~15 minutes then check back and add more stock as necessary. Cook until lentils are tender, ~30 minutes, and use up to 8 cups stock as needed.
- Transfer lentils to a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Spread the Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus on top of the lentils. Bake until golden brown on top, ~30-40 minutes.