Recipes for Recovery: Mushroom & Broccoli Frittata
This Mushroom and Broccoli Frittata is an excellent source of vitamin C from broccoli. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant to neutralize free radicals in the body and contributes to immunity and bone health. Broccoli is also a cruciferous vegetable that may enhance detoxification of undesirable compounds. To optimize its many health benefits, lightly steam this vegetable and make sure not to overcook it.
*Note: To blanch broccoli, boil water and add broccoli for approximately 1 minute. Can also use defrosted frozen broccoli in place of fresh blanched broccoli.
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp onion chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup blanched* broccoli chopped
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Whisk together the four whole eggs with the egg whites and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms in a small 5" to 6" non-stick skillet with the olive oil until softened a bit.
- Season with a dash of salt and pepper. Add blanched broccoli and cook another minute.
- Add the egg mixture and quickly scrape all sides of pan to evenly distribute egg and veggies.
- Remove from heat and finish cooking in the oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until egg is fully cooked.
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 0g