NYC Smoked Salmon “Everything Bagel” Penne Pasta
I love salmon pasta! For this recipe, I used smoked salmon, penne pasta, and a cream cheese based sauce with everything bagel spice. I give you NYC Smoked Salmon “Everything Bagel” Penne Pasta! And here’s the best part – it’s a healthy smoked salmon pasta.
I received free samples of Barilla Pasta mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I’m entering a contest sponsored by Barilla and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I was chosen by Barilla pasta to be part of their Chef’s Roll #BarillaPastaPerfect contest. My task was to create a recipe that represents my region. So, I had to decide…What is my region? New York state? The Northeast? The Tri-State area? After mulling it over and thinking about all the different foods and specialties nearby, I decided to go for it and represent NEW YORK CITY! I have lived here for 20 years after all, so what’s more regional for me than the Big Apple?
Once I had settled on NYC as the focus, there was a long list of foods that could represent the region. Hot dogs…pizza…apples…the possibilities were endless. However, my favorite specialty food in all of NYC can be found in a deli — I love an “everything” wheat bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese, and all the trimmings.
Healthy Smoked Salmon Pasta
From that love, my NYC Smoked Salmon “Everything Bagel” Penne was born. The Barilla ProteinPlus® Penne provides the perfect base. Its firm, chewy texture and light wheat flavor reflects a wheat bagel, and the penne shape holds the creamy sauce well and balances out the chopped salmon. The combination of the penne, smoked salmon, and sauce with sesame and poppy seed garnish creates an amazing riff on my favorite NYC treat. Enjoy!
**LATEST UPDATE – Out of >300 entries, I was a Top 10 finalist! I won a handmade Nora chef’s knife and a vegetable box from Chef’s Garden. AMAZING!!!
- 12 ounces Barilla ProteinPlus® Penne
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons whole milk yogurt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup dill minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers rinsed
- 4 ounces smoked salmon cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve ¾ cup of pasta water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onion, saute until translucent, ~3-4 minutes. Add garlic and saute ~1 minute. Lower heat to low then add cream cheese, yogurt, zest, and lemon juice, whisking and adding pasta water a little at a time to create a sauce with a consistency that you prefer (more water will create a thinner sauce, you may not use all the reserved pasta water) and heat gently. Mix in dill, salt, and pepper.
- Take sauce off the heat and stir in capers, salmon, and cooked pasta. Garnish with sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
Total Fat 16g
Total Carbohydrate 64g