Taco Salad with Healthy Taco Seasoning
One of the best parts about doing what I do is that I get to share it with my daughter, Olivia. I love cooking with her because it is a great way to bond, we get to nourish our bodies and she learns some basics in how to cook! In fact, she has become quite the chef herself. For this recipe, we were joined by Olivia’s friend, Lupe, when we made these delicious taco salads with healthy taco seasoning.
This recipe is great because you can use ingredients you already have in the kitchen and customize it; the toppings we included are only suggestions. The only items you need to buy fresh are the meat, greens, and any toppings you’d like to add! The star of the show in this recipe is the healthy taco seasoning. It is free of any additives found in store-bought taco seasonings and tastes delicious.
How To Make This Taco Salad with Healthy Taco Seasoning
The first step to making this dish is to prepare the seasoning. In a bowl, measure out the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, paprika, ground cumin, salt and black pepper (Note: you can make this in bulk and save it for later uses). From there, heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the ground turkey. Begin to brown the turkey, breaking it apart as it cooks. Once browned on the outside, add the taco seasoning. When spices are heated, like they are in this recipe, it causes them to bloom, which releases the oils in the spices making the dish more fragrant and flavorful. From there continue to cook the turkey until it is no longer pink (about 10 minutes). The best part is the kiddos can help with this entire process!
Once the turkey is done, place romaine lettuce (or your favorite greens) on a plate along with some tortilla chips and the turkey. Let the kids go to town! Have out as many toppings as you like so the kids can create their own custom salad. It’s like a fast casual restaurant in your home kitchen!
About the Healthy Taco Seasoning
As mentioned, this taco seasoning is great because it tastes just like your favorite store-bought seasoning, but without the additives. Many store-bought taco seasonings have ingredients like maltodextrin, natural flavors, silicon dioxide, corn flour and/or sugar.1, 2 My taco seasoning, on the other hand, is solely made up of spices.
Health Benefits of Spices
Spices, like food, also have beneficial properties. Research has shown that spices have anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic and antioxidant properties, which can protect the body from chronic disease.2 Specifically, spices like oregano, used in this recipe, is an excellent source of antioxidants.2 Spices are a great way to add even more benefits to an already nutritious meal, just like they do in this taco salad.
Keep me in the loop when you create this taco salad with healthy taco seasoning, and let me know what you, and the kiddos think down below in the comments!
If you enjoyed created this taco salad with healthy taco seasoning, you may also like my Tacos with Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning, my Plum Fruit Avocado Salad, and my Mandarin Orange Salad with Black Beans!
- Original Taco Seasoning Mix – Products. Old El Paso. https://www.oldelpaso.com/products/taco-seasoning-mix-original-1-oz-packet. Accessed March 15, 2020.
- McCormick® Taco Seasoning Mix. McCormick. https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/recipe-mixes/mexican/taco-seasoning-mix?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImtbn5Kib6AIVQIFaBR1VvwcSEAAYASAAEgLdN_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds. Accessed March 15, 2020.
- Jiang TA. Health Benefits of Culinary Herbs and Spices. Journal of AOAC INTERNATIONAL. 2019;102(2):395-411. doi:10.5740/jaoacint.18-0418.
Homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- One bag 5-6 ounces multigrain tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained (note: can use refried beans if preferred)
- 1 container Salsa
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 Bell pepper diced
- 2 Avocado diced
- 5 ounces Baby spinach
- Sour cream
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and add ground turkey, breaking apart to cook. Add homemade taco seasoning to skillet and mix well with turkey. Cook until no longer pink, approximately 10 minutes. Place in bowl.
- Set out bowl of turkey and remaining ingredients in individual bowls. Create your own taco salad!