Tofu Chocolate Pudding
Need a special treat to surprise some kids tonight? Or just some chocolate pudding all for yourself?? Try my silky-smooth vegan tofu chocolate pudding. No one will believe tofu is the secret ingredient! It adds ton of plant-based protein AND makes it smooth and creamy.
How To Make Tofu Chocolate Pudding
First, blend silken tofu and sugar together in a blender, vitamix, or food processor. In a double boiler, saucepan over low heat, or microwave dish, warm chocolate, water, cocoa, and vanilla until chocolate is melted. Mix well.
Next, pour the chocolate sauce mixture into blender with tofu mixture and blend until smooth. Pour into 6 ramekins and chill for at least one hour. Serve as is or with a dollop of whipped cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream! Delish!!
Tofu in Dessert? What!?!?
That’s right! Instead of heavy cream, egg yolk, and other animal-based products normally found in pudding, we will use silken tofu instead! Silken tofu has the highest water content and is the softest of all the types of tofu. It is undrained, unpressed, and has a texture similar to custard. It works perfectly in desserts as an egg replacement and adds a creamy consistency in my Tofu Chocolate Pudding.
Silken tofu is lower in fat and calories than firm tofu since it has a higher water content. It contains iron, B vitamins and potassium, and is packed full of plant-based protein. Soybeans are a complete protein and contain good amounts of all 9 of the essential amino acids. If you are vegan or vegetarian, Tofu is a great way to make sure you meet your protein needs.
Silken tofu doesn’t contain a lot of flavor, making it the perfect ingredient to give any flavor profile you want! Give it a try in my Tofu Chocolate Pudding and see what you think.
“Straight Talk About Soy.” The Nutrition Source, 28 Oct. 2019, www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/soy/.
- 1 package of silken tofu ~16 ounces
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend tofu and sugar together well in blender, vitamix, or food processor.
- In a double boiler, sauce pan over low heat, or microwave dish, warm chocolate, water, cocoa, and vanilla until chocolate is melted. Mix well.
- Pour chocolate sauce mixture into blender with tofu mixture and blend until smooth.
- Pour into 6 ramekins and chill for at least one hour. Serve as is or with a dollop of whipped cream, crème fraiche, or sour cream.