Healthy Carrot Muffins
These Healthy Carrot Muffins are vegan AND delicious! The combination of warming spices, carrots, and raisins is amazing.
As my daughter will tell you, I love baking muffins. I try to incorporate vegetables and/or fruit in every muffin recipe and I always focus on minimal additional sugar from three sources only: honey, maple syrup, and/or maple sugar. These are natural sugar sources that offer additional vitamins and nutrients, such as iron, potassium, and magnesium. Plus they add their own flavor and texture to the muffins that is always a nice treat!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low sodium V-8 Juice or Tomato Juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the juice, oil, carrots, raisins, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Stir to mix.
- Pour batter into greased or lined muffin pans. Place pans into the oven and bake for ~18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.