I love cheese! My cheese crisps are one ingredient only – parmesan cheese – with the option of your favorite herbs and spices. They are great in a salad or a sandwich for an extra crunch, or by themselves for a high protein, salty snack. I think you will find yourself making these often! Seriously, they’re super delish. And they’re great for those following keto or vegetarian diets – and YOU!
All About Cheese Crisps
My cheese crisps are so simple to make. First, preheat the oven to 400 ℉. Then, line a baking sheet with a silpat or waxed parchment paper. If you are adding spices, mix it in with the cheese now. From there, separate the 1 cup of parmesan cheese into 12 heaping tablespoons (and pat them down slightly).
Bake the cheese crisps for 3 to 5 minutes, but keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn. Once done, remove the cheese crisps from the oven and allow them to cool slightly (1 minute). Then, use a spatula to remove the cheese crisps from the baking sheet and eat immediately or store in an airtight container.
Health Benefits of Cheese Crisps
Cheese crisps also add plenty of nutrients to our diet. Just 2 crisps (or 2 tablespoons) have 10 grams of protein and are an excellent source of calcium. The protein in this recipe assists with keeping you full. Additionally, the protein and calcium will help to support bone, teeth, skin, and muscle health.
These crispy treats are also keto-friendly and gluten-free. You won’t get enough of this cheesy deliciousness!
Ways to use Cheese Crisps
Cheese crisps are a tasty treat and afternoon pick me up. But there are plenty of other uses as well! How about adding them to a salad as a crunchy, salty topper? You can also pair them with some whole grains like brown rice or farro or put them inside a sandwich for some cheesy crunch. They would also go well crumbled up and added to roasted vegetables or on top of a piece of fish or poultry.
Streit, L. (2019, March 4). The 9 Healthiest Types of Cheese. Retrieved February 4, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/healthiest-cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese or Italian blend
- Optional: 2 tablespoons minced herbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. line a baking sheet with Silpat/silicone (recommended) or parchment paper sprayed with oil spray.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of parmesan onto baking sheet and lightly pat down. Repeat with remaining cheese, spacing approximately ½ inch apart.
- Bake for 3 to 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Cool and use a spatula to transfer from the baking sheet.
- Serve as is for a snack or appetizer or use as garnish for salad.