Chickpea Masala is a delicious vegetarian entree made with a variety of Indian spices. This simplified version uses Greek yogurt instead of cream or coconut milk, making a super fresh, lighter dish. The ingredients come together quickly and can be found primarily in the pantry. Goes wonderfully with your favorite whole grain, such as brown rice or quinoa, or a side of naan or other crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch bok choy or tatsoi or green swiss chard chopped
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- brown rice or other whole grain optional
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, saute 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, mustard, and salt. Bloom spices by cooking and stirring often, ~30 seconds.
- Add greens, mixing ingredients together as they cook. Stir in chickpeas and cook until heated through, ~5 minutes.
- Optional: mash chickpeas or leave whole.
- Serve with dollop of yogurt and a whole grain (optional).