Easy Baked Beans
Super Bowl Sunday is just a few weeks away and I have the perfect recipe for your Super Bowl party: my easy baked beans. Gone are the days of those canned beans full of modified corn starch and other preservatives. My easy baked beans are fresh, packed with flavor and nutrition, and can be ready in under an hour. This recipe will definitely be a TOUCHDOWN!
All About Easy Baked Beans
To make my easy baked beans, pour the beans and water or vegetable broth into the Instant Pot and cook on manual high pressure for 25 minutes. Once cooked, allow the pressure to naturally release. Drain and rinse the beans, and set them aside for later.
From there, set the Instant Pot to the sautée mode, and sautée the onions and peppers in oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Next, turn the Instant Pot off and add the barbecue sauce, ketchup, dijon mustard, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, and water to make the sauce. Add the beans back in, cook for an additional 15 minutes on high pressure, and allow for a natural release again.
There you have it, my easy baked beans! This is a great recipe to get the kids involved in. Also, you can make these easy baked beans in advance, allowing the beans to marinate in the sauce and become more flavorful.
Being both a chef and registered dietitian, I love to make our classics a little bit healthier and tasty. Here are some brands I like to use for the sauce ingredients:
Barbecue Sauce: True Made Foods or Primal Palate
Ketchup: Sir Kensington Ketchup, True Made Foods, or Heinz No Salt Added
Dijon Mustard: Grey Poupon or Maille
Maple Syrup: Pure maple syrup Grade A or B from Vermont, New Hampshire, or Canad
Pinto Bean Health Benefits
Pinto beans are full of fiber and protein. Additionally one cup of pinto beans are an excellent source of thiamin, iron, magnesium and phosphorus, as well as a good source of potassium. In total, these nutrients help to aid in digestion, aid in heart health, and keep our skin, muscles, blood, and bones healthy. Run don’t walk to make these easy baked beans. For more information on beans, in general, check out the post on my Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas.
Berkheiser, K. (2019, October 22). 7 Health and Nutrition Benefits of Pinto Beans. Retrieved January 11, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pinto-beans-nutrition#6.-May-boost-weight-loss-.
- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup low sodium ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple sugar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- In the Instant Pot, add beans and water. Cook on manual high pressure for 25 minutes. When done, allow pressure to naturally release.
- Remove lid and strain beans in a colander. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add oil and heat then add onion and pepper. Saute until tender, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn off Instant Pot. Add barbecue sauce, ketchup, Dijon, vinegar, maple, salt, and water and mix well. Add beans and stir to combine.
- Secure lid, close steam valve, and cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes. Naturally release pressure. Carefully open lid and gently stir.