Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
Bringing you another pressure cooker recipe that saves you time and energy in making a delicious meal. My Instant Pot Pork Loin turns a pork tenderloin into a moist, fork-tender pile of goodness that can be served in so many ways. If you are looking for more Instant Pot recipes, check out my new cookbook, Mediterranean Pressure Cooking!
Pork Tenderloin 1
A lean and delicate cut of meat, pork tenderloin is easy to overcook. That’s why my Instant Pot Pork Loin recipe is ideal for making this delicate cut perfect, every time. It’s a rarely used muscle by the pig, which as the name implies, makes it extra tender! The tenderloin is the muscle that runs alongside the backbone, and is sold boneless.
A fresh, not frozen cut for the Instant Pot Pork Loin is recommended, but not necessary. In general, frozen meat loses its moisture quickly once thawed. You can buy fresh meat up to three days before cooking, as long it is kept well-wrapped in the refrigerator.
A tenderloin is typically sold in one pound increments, which makes for four servings. If you get the pork tenderloin from a butcher you may need to trim the thin silvery white membrane––silver skin––from the surface before cooking.
What is Silver Skin?2
Silver skin is connective tissue that is found on larger cuts of meat from mostly pork, beef and lamb. Unlike collagen, which will break down into gelatin during cooking, silver skin does not break down and needs to be removed.
If silver skin is left on the meat it will turn our succulent Instant Pot Pork Loin chewy and tough. To remove, it is best to use a sharp paring knife and slide the knife tip between the silver skin and flesh. Cut along the flesh, pulling the silver skin away. It should come off quick and easy!
After my Instant Pot Pork Loin is cooked for 45 minutes under high pressure it easily falls apart like it was slow cooked for 18 hours. After the pork has cooled, take two forks and easily shred into pulled pork. From here, there are so many delicious directions to take the meal.
My top two choices with Instant Pot Pork Loin are tacos and barbecue sandwiches. For tacos, I would recommend adding fresh squeezed lime juice, red onion––bonus points if you quick pickle them!––and cilantro. Corn tortillas are always my preferred option, but flour would work too. You could also add some of my Peach Salsa. A great side would be my Sweet Pickled Cabbage.
If barbecue is more your style, after shredding add your favorite sauce. Highly recommend piling onto some warm brioche buns! Adding some of my Sweet Pickled Cabbage right onto the bun would not be a bad idea either.
Pork Tenderloin Nutrition3,4
The tenderloin is the leanest cut of pork, meaning it is low in fat and calories. A 3 ounce serving of tenderloin has just 3.5 grams of fat, including just 1 gram from saturated fat. Compared to a pork sirloin roast that has 11 grams of fat, and 3 grams from saturated fat.
Pork is also a good source of a number of vitamins and minerals––thiamin, selenium, zinc, vitamin B12, niacin and phosphorous. A 3-ounce serving of pork has 54% of the daily value for thiamin. Thiamin is necessary for the metabolism of carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
Let’s Get Cooking!
This recipe is super simple and requires about only five minutes of active cooking time! I added only salt, pepper and vegetable stock for ease and also so the Instant Pot Pork Loin would be versatile to a wide array of dishes. So whether it is tacos, barbeque, or served by itself this recipe is the epitome of customizable. If you are looking for more Instant Pot recipes check out my new cookbook, Mediterranean Pressure Cooking! Enjoy!
- Fuller JR. All About Pork Loin, From Boneless to Rib Roast. Epicurious. Accessed December 4, 2020. https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/pork-loin-primer-boneless-rib-roast-tenderloin-article
- What Exactly Is Silver Skin? Kitchn. Accessed December 4, 2020. https://www.thekitchn.com/what-exactly-is-silver-skin-242487
- Vitamins and Minerals. Pork Checkoff. Accessed December 6, 2020. https://www.pork.org/cooking/pork-nutrition/vitamins-and-minerals/
- Pork_Lamb_Nutrition_Facts.pdf. Accessed December 6, 2020. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/Pork_Lamb_Nutrition_Facts.pdf?redirecthttp=true
- 1 pound pork tenderloin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- Season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Turn on the sauté function on the electric pressure cooker. Allow it to heat up then add the oil. Add the pork and brown on two sides, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Add the stock and deglaze pan, scraping up brown bits. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- After cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes then quick release. Unlock and remove the lid then shred pork with 2 forks. Serve.