Looking for a new way to make a juicy, mouthwatering burger? Try my Ricotta Burger! The ricotta adds moisture and flavor, a delicious twist on a classic. Feel free to throw some chopped-up veggies into the mix as well, onions and garlic would be a great addition! Not a fan of beef? Ground turkey, chicken, or lamb are great substitutes.
Making a Ricotta Burger
To make my Ricotta Burger, mix together the ground beef, garlic, ricotta, tomato paste, basil, salt and pepper until well-combined. The ricotta in the mixture adds some great moisture to the burger! Next, gently divide the meat and form into patties.
You have the option to grill the burger indoors or outdoors, so you can enjoy it throughout all seasons! If grilling indoors, heat a nonstick grill pan on high heat. Lightly oil the pan, reduce heat to medium and cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes.
If grilling outdoors, cook the burgers on medium heat for about 5 minutes per side. Once ready, top each burger with ricotta and basil! A quick, simple meal the whole family will love!
Ricotta Burger Nutrition
Often times people steer away from red meat. In reality, red meat can be part of any well-balanced diet! It contains many essential nutrients including protein, zinc, B12 and iron. Our Ricotta Burger is a healthy and delicious way to incorporate some red meat in your diet.
To make your Ricotta Burger even more nutritious, chop up some veggies and toss them into the mix! This is an easy way to “hide” some vegetables for those of you with picky eaters in your house. It also adds moisture and flavor to the burger mixture.
All About Ricotta
Ricotta is a creamy Italian cheese made from cow, goat, sheep, or water buffalo’s milk. Ricotta cheese is full of protein, primarily Whey protein. Whey is a complete protein that provides your body with all the essential amino acids. Along with protein, Ricotta is also a good source of Calcium!
So how is Ricotta made? It is actually very simple. Typically, you heat whole milk, coagulate it, and then strain the curds from the whey. This results in a soft, spreadable cheese. Ricotta adds richness, moisture, freshness to a dish. Perfect to use as a topping for our Ricotta Burger!
Delany, A. (2019, April 24). So, What Is Ricotta Cheese, Anyway? Retrieved January 23, 2020, from https://www.bonappetit.com/story/what-is-ricotta-cheese
Streit, L. (2019, March 4). The 9 Healthiest Types of Cheese. Retrieved January 23, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/healthiest-cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons ricotta plus 1/4 cup for garnish
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup basil leaves chiffonade, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black Pepper
- olive oil spray
- Mix the ground beef with garlic, 2 tablespoons ricotta, tomato paste, basil, salt, and pepper until well combined. Gently form the meat into four patties.
- To grill indoors: Heat a large nonstick grill pan or skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray oil. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook on one side ~4-5 minutes, then flip. Cook ~4-5 minutes.
- To grill outdoors: Cook the burgers on medium heat ~5 minutes on each side.
- Top each burger with 1-2 tablespoons ricotta and basil