Weekly Recipe Round-Up: Roasted Golden Beet Soup
The top dishes this week were my NYC Smoked Salmon “Everything Bagel” Penne and Roasted Golden Beet Soup. You can find my Penne recipe here (https://chefabbiegellman.com/smoked-salmon-pasta/), and my soup recipe below.
This sunny soup is a perfect way to warm up in this seemingly never ending winter! Beets contain Betalains, a unique source of phytonutrients that help provide anti-inflammatory and detoxification support as well as antioxidants. The fennel gives the soup a touch of mellow sweetness and its own special blend of nutrients and immune support. Throw in a piece of crusty bread and you’re good to go! Woo hoo! Enjoy!
- 1 pound golden beets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 fennel bulb diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- Lemon juice optional
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash beets and wrap them individually in aluminum foil. Place in oven and roast ~60 minutes, until cooked. Once cooked, allow to cool enough to handle then rub off skin under running water and cut into smaller pieces.
- While beets are roasting, heat dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat, add oil. Saute onion until translucent, ~3-4 minutes. Add carrots, celery, fennel, and salt. Saute for 8-10 minutes. Add ginger and saute for ~1 minute.
- Add broth, bring to a boil then cover and lower to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add contents of pot and beets to a vitamix or blender and puree until smooth. Add orange zest and juice. Taste and add salt and/or lemon juice if needed.