Ricotta Pie with Spinach
I love a good pie for breakfast any day. This ricotta pie with spinach I particularly love because it’s full of some of my favorite foods, spinach, cheese, eggs! And I’ve never met a pie crust I didn’t like…Also a great main dish for brunch, lunch, dinner, or even a snack!
Making the Ricotta Pie with Spinach
This delightful dish couldn’t be simpler to make. First get yourself a prepared pie crust. I like a hearty whole wheat crust, but a plain pie crust will do nicely. You can usually find prepared crusts available in the freezer section already in their own pie tin. However, you can also find them rolled up, in which case you simply need to defrost it and roll it out into a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.
Next you’ll saute the onion, spices, herbs, and spinach. This allows them to develop some flavor and depth and get rid of excess water so that your final ricotta pie is not a soggy mess. This is a very important step!
While the veggies are cooking away, whisk together the ricotta and eggs, being sure to integrate them well. Add in the grated cheddar and the onion and spinach mixture, then everything goes into the pie crust. I like to bake everything for at least 45 minutes so that my ricotta pie with spinach is very golden brown. Feel free to leave it in to whatever your desired color may be. Serve warm or at room temperature with a nice vegetable side salad or some cut up fruit.
Is the Ricotta Pie with Spinach Healthy?
You bet it’s healthy! Spinach has a ton of nutrients, including vitamin K, dietary fiber, and iron. The ricotta and cheddar cheese provide protein, calcium, and magnesium, to name a few. And of course the incredible edible egg is chock full of vitamins and minerals, such as choline, vitamin D, and protein.
Looking for more ricotta recipes? Check out my Figs with Ricotta and Honey, Honey Whipped Ricotta with Espresso, and Ricotta Burgers. Or how about more egg ideas? Give my Green Spinach Shakshuka, Egg Bean Burrito or Healthy Egg Salad with Avocado a try!
- Frozen prepared pie shell whole wheat if you can find it
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pound spinach stemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepared dough should be rolled out and placed in a 9- or 10-inch pie pan as a crust. Some prepared pie shells can be purchased already in a tin.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Add onion and salt and saute, 3 minutes. Add pepper, nutmeg, spinach, and basil, and cook for 5 minutes until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ricotta and eggs. Mix in cheese and onion spinach mixture and mix well. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake till firm and golden brown, 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.